Friday, June 29, 2007

Glauber Rocha

Othon Bastos as "Corisco"

Last night I had the chance to watch the remasterized version on DVD of "Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol" ("Black God, White Devil") film of 1964. "Deus e o Diabo..." is the second film of Glauber Rocha, whose first one was "Barravento". I d´ont remember the first time I watched this film, guess I was still little and I d´ont remember the details. So some days ago a friend has borrowed me a special edition DVD with many interviews with the cast (Othon Bastos and Yoná Magalhães) and the crew. I normally watch a film first and then I watch the special features. This time I started watching the featurings and then the film. All people involved on it talked about "Deus e o Diabo..." as a definitve masterpiece of Glauber Rocha and I was a bit sceptic. Well so I´ve watched it then. And indeed it´s about a masterpiece. The whole progressive concept of the film (as for example using songs to explain the scenes ) is just one of the genial elements he used in this film. It´s about a low budget film but enourmously beautiful and visionary. I couldn´t stop to repeat the monolog´s scene of Othon Bastos when he is representing at the same space of time two different characters while the camera just followed his movements as it was part of it too. I guess this is one of the best images I´ve ever watched in my life. "Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol" was filmmed in 1964 but seems so much timeless that I had the impression that even in third years nobody will be able to do something similar. And this has nothing to do with money or special effects ... And Glauber Rocha was only 26 years-old at that time!




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: